A holiday can always add a festive note to your trip, particularly if it involves a parade or special observance somewhere in the country. In the Netherlands, expect banks, shops, and most museums to be closed, and public transportation to operate on limited schedules .
Bank holiday in the Netherlands:
- New Year's Day (Jan 1), with large celebrations on New Years Eve (dec 31);
- Easter Sunday, Easter Monday;
- Ascension Day (Thursday, 40 days after Easter);
- King's Day - King Willem - Alexander ’s birthday (April 27); if the King’s Birthday falls on Sunday the celebrations take place the day before
- Pentecost Sunday (7th Sunday after Easter) and Pentecost Monday;
- Christmas Day (December 25) and Boxing Day (December 26).
Good Friday/Easter Friday is not a bank holiday in the netherlands, though some companies (usually english or US) will allow it to be taken as holiday.
In addition, there are two World War II Remembrance Days:
- May 4, the Remembrance of the Dead Day honors all those who died in the war and it is not an official holiday though some establishments close.
- May 5 celebrates the Liberation and since 2000 it is celebrated as an official holiday once every 5 years, next time on May 5, 2020.